Sunday, March 21, 2010

Swistle's Muffins


One of the very first bloggers that I found was Swistle.

Awhile ago she posted a muffin recipe and at the time, I rarely made muffins from scratch. I don't even know why, really. So when I saw her recipe, I decided to try it and am I ever glad I did.


The great thing about this recipe is that it's really just a base. You can make any flavour of muffin, in any size you wish. Our favorites are pumpkin, cinnamon apple, or banana chocolate chip. Sometimes, I even mix a little of everything in.



Mmmmm, we like cinnamon!








When bananas go on sale, I buy double what I know we'll eat and I freeze them. They end up looking a bit gross but they're fine. An added bonus for this recipe is that when you freeze the bananas, their insides turn mushy so they're much easier to mash.

Anyway, on to the recipe:
Swistle's muffins

3.5 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
1-6 tsp spices (optional)
1.5 cups chocolate chips (optional)
4 eggs
2 cups mashed stuff (apple sauce, pumpkin, banana, baby food)
1 cup margarine/butter, melted
1-2 tsp extract (optional)
1 cup nuts (optional)
1 cup dried fruit (optional)

In seperate bowls, mix wet ingredients and whisk dry ingredients. Add dry mixture to wet and stir until combined. Divide into mufin tins. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for about 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your muffins and your oven.

This usually makes about a dozen large-ish muffins and a dozen mini muffins, which are then gone within a few hours around here.
Happy baking!


















No comments:

Post a Comment